Dating grand haven
Grand Haven is the first city officially designated as Coast Guard City, USA by an act of Congress signed by President Bill Clinton.
The act was Public Law 105-383 enacted by the United States Congress and signed by the president on November 13, 1998.
The Story and Clark Piano Company built pianos in the city from 1900-1984.
The smokestack at the piano factory collapsed during the Southern Great Lakes Derecho of 1998.
The waterfront locations bring tourists from all over the state and region for activities which include, boating, sailing, jet skiing, tubing, wind surfing, and an annual kite festival.
After the War of 1812, this area became more settled by Americans.
The first permanent resident was a Presbyterian minister, William Montague Ferry, who founded in 1834 the first area church and neighboring town of Ferrysburg. Sheldon Tannery was founded in 1838, developing to process leathers from the fur trade and cattle. Ferry founded the city's first bank in 1851 in the Ferry & Son building on Harbor Drive.
bringing tens of thousands of visitors as a boon to the local economy.
The state park also includes a campground on Lake Michigan, near the pier and lighthouses.
The Grand Haven Musical Fountain was built on the opposite bank of the Grand River from the city center in 1969. When it was built, it was the world's largest such fountain.